Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), to Canada

General information regarding Canadian eTA

Canadian travel authorisation system (eTA) enables countries included in the visa exemption programme to get the essential documentation without ever having to leave their homes. The entitled, can just apply for an eTA online, to travel to Canada.

The Canadian eTA authorises multiple entries and remains valid for a period of 5 years or until the passport expires. Whichever comes first. Once the eTA is granted, it is allowed to stay in the country territory for a maximum period of 6 months.

After your application gets approved, your eTA will be sent to the email address you have provided in the application form. This authorisation is automatically and electronically assigned to your passport, so there is no need for you to print it out and carry it to the airport. It will be only required for you to use the same passport you have used while applying online.

Types of eTA

The government of Canada has provided only one type of electronic travel authorisation- an eTA. It enables to stay in the country territory in both tourism and business purposes. There has been no additional authorisation created for those who just transit through Canada, therefore each person who is planning on crossing the Canadian border is obliged to get an eTA before getting on the plane. It is noteworthy that citizens of countries included in the visa exemption are obliged to get an eTA beforehand only while entering the country through the air. While crossing one of the sea or land borders, no additional documentation apart from a valid passport is required.

Citizens of the below mentioned countries are entitled to apply for an eTA

Andorra Australia Austria Bahamas Barbados Belgium Brazil* Brunei Bulgaria Chile Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong* Hungary Iceland Ireland Israel* Italy Japan Korea, South Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Mexico Monaco Netherlands New Zealand Norway Papua New Guinea Poland Portugal Romania* Samoa San Marino Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Spain Sweden Switzerland Taiwan* United Arab Emirates United Kingdom Vatican City (Holy See)*

Additionally, citizens of the British Overseas Territories, who have acquired their nationality through birth, origin, naturalization or registering in one of the British Overseas Territories, can also apply for an eTA:

  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
  • Gibraltar
  • Montserrat
  • Pitcairn Island
  • Saint Helena
  • Turks and Caicos Islands

* Additional requirements

Citizens of Brazil are also eligible to apply for an eTA, as long as one of the enlisted conditions are met:

  • They hold a valid Green Card (permanent residence permit in the United States of America)
  • They have visited Canada during past 10 years
  • They hold a valid nonimmigrant visa to the United States of America

If you meet one of the following conditions, you are entitled to apply online for an eTA to Canada:

  • Being a Green Card holder (permanent residence permit issued by the United States of America);
  • Being a passport or travel document holder issued by the Vatican;
  • Holders of passports issued by Israel (national Israeli passport);
  • Holders of passports issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (Hong Kong SAR);
  • Holders of electronic passports issued by Romania. If an applicant holds a regular passport or temporary one, issued by Romania, a regular visa, issued by the closest Canadian Embassy is required.
  • Holders of passports issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, in which the personal identification number can be found. In case of being a holder of any other passport, the Taiwanese are obliged to acquire a regular visa at the closest Embassy;
  • Holders of passports issued by the United Kingdom, with the nationality of British National (Overseas), noted in it;
  • Holders of passports issued by the United Kingdom with the nationality of British Subject noted in it as long as the applicant has the right of abode.

All those who meet one of the criteria described above can acquire an eTA and travel with it via air only. In the event of an applicant intending on entering Canada through land or sea, a regular visa will be required.

ATTENTION! Those who have additional Canadian citizenship, cannot apply for an eTA in the case of entering the country territory through the air. In such a case, to be able to visit Canada, a valid Canadian passport will be required.